Sewer flooding can be caused by a number of problems, and it’s never very pleasant. The natural elements such as climate change and a growth in population can put pressure on drainage systems and sewers therefore, causing sewer flooding which can lead to all sorts of problems. Unfortunately these problems are often intensified by humans, as we pave over greenery and natural drainage systems.
It isn’t just this that increases the chance of sewer flooding, if you put things down your toilet and sink that is unsuitable this will also add to the risk. Fat, foodstuffs, and towels are constantly flushed into sewer systems that cause ‘fatbergs’; they then build up until one day the sewer system is blocked and overflows. Nature can also cause issues such as leaf fall every late Summer and expecially in Autumn. Leaves absord moisture and clog the drains much easier.
During heavy storms; sewers have to cope with an increased capacity which means that if it is blocked it can fail to work efficiently and overwhelm the system. When this happens, raw sewage can rise to the surface and overflow from manholes and even flood homes. Unfortunately many people suffered from this during the storms of 2013. Sewage can be damaging to your health and is very unpleasant, so you do not want it running through your home.
How to Prevent Sewer Flooding
We can all work to prevent sewer flooding by taking care in what we dispose of down our sinks and toilets. Follow these rules:
- Do not pour fat down the sink; it will congeal and cause blockages.
- If you’ve noticed a blockage in your drains, get them unblocked before it causes more of a serious problem.
- If it says ‘do not flush’ – obey the instructions!
Of course, sometimes flooding cannot be prevented due to heavy storms and intense rainfall. But you can use preventative measures to save your home when if flood warnings are issued in the UK just in case a sewer flood should occur.
- Check road drains for leaf blockages
- Check your own drains close to property (if possible)
- Block doors with sandbags.
- Move your personal and more expensive items upstairs.
- Never let children play in flood water – it could be full of sewage.
- Check for flood warnings in the UK.
- Keep your warm clothes, torches, medication, first aid kit, radio, rubber gloves, wellies, boots, food and drinking water upstairs – call it your flood survival kit.
If you think that you are suffering from blocked drains high wycombe, please give us a call. We are specialists when it comes to drain problems both domestic and commercial. We are dedicated to sorting out your problems efficiently and at an affordable cost. If you would like further information about our services, please contact us. Our team are more than happy to help! We are just a phone call away and our engineers can be with you usually within the hour.